This creamy, nourishing and healthy Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta is my favourite fall comfort food. This recipe is made with creamy pumpkin sauce and is the perfect recipe to make for a cosy night in or for a date night.
Lately, I desperately craving pasta dishes and all those unhealthy yeat delicious pasta recipes. But I can not imagine eating every day the amount of carbs and fat my favourite pasta dishes have (hi carbonara!). So I decided to create a more nourishing and good for me dish – Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta! It’s luscious, smooth and rich and with less fat than classic Alfredo sauce.
In this recipe, I used my homemade pumpkin puree (get the recipe here) which I seasoned with some salt and pepper. You can definitely use store-bought pumpkin puree but a homemade one always wins for me and honestly it’s hard to find pumpkin puree in England!
Why try out the Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
- Easy to make – This recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and you can easily make it in one pot!
- Healthier and so creamy – This recipe is healthy alternativee of the high calorie alfredo pasta and the combination of pumpkin puree and cashews makes the sauce so creamy!
- Fall Inspired – Honestly, this is my favourite savoury fall recipe!
- Nourishing – Healthy pasta dish? I am in!
- Pumpkin Puree – You can make one home by roasting and pouring the pumpkin. Get the recipe here.
- Cashew Nuts – Use unsalted cashew nuts. I would recommend soaking them overnight to get the creamiest sauce.
- Nutritional Yeast – To add some protein and cheesy taste to the sauce I used nutritional yeast.
- Tagliatelle or any type of pasta – Use any pasta you like in this recipe. You can also swap for a gluten-free option.
- Unsweetened Plant-Based Milk – Make sure to use unsweetened plant based milk.
How to Make the Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
Start by preparing the sauce. Place the nuts in a bowl and cover with boiling water for at least 2 hours. I would recommend soaking the cashews overnight to achieve the creamiest sauce. Once your cashews are soaked place them in a high-speed blender with 1 cup of water or plant-based milk and mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
In a small pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and add chopped garlic, saute for 1-2 minutes until soft. Add in the pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and cashew paste. Cook the sauce for 3-5 minutes until hot and thickened. Set aside.
Cook the pasta according to the package. If the sauce is too thick, save 1/2 cup of the pasta water and add to the sauce. Once the pasta is cooked toss the pasta with prepared sauce until evenly coated. Season to your taste and serve with fresh herbs, pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds.
I would recommend soaking the cashews overnight to achieve the creamiest sauce. The consistency of the sauce will also depend on the blender you are using.
If you would like to make a low-calorie version swap the cashews for 1 small head of cauliflower. Cook the cauliflower until tender and mix in a blender with plant-based milk or water instead of cashews.
If you have more sauce then you can use you can freeze the sauce and use it at any time for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
Can I substitute any ingredients?
Yes, you can use any type of pasta and plant-based milk you like. Also, you can add any additional ingredients to the pasta like shallots, mushrooms or spinach.
How to store the pasta?
The pasta is best eaten fresh but you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the sauce for up to 3 months.
More fall recipes for You to try
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- Pumpkin Chai Spiced Cupcakes
- Vegan Maple Pecan Pumpkin Bread
Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
- 1 cup / 120 grams cashews
- 1 cup / 250 ml plant-based milk or water
- 3/4 cup / 180 grams pumpkin puree
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 servings pasta
- Start by preparing the sauce. Place the cashews in the bowl and cover with boiling water, let soak for at least 1 hour.
- In a high-speed blender add soaked cashew nuts with plant-based milk or water and mix until smooth and creamy.
- In a small pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and add chopped garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add in the pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and cashew paste.
- Cook for 2 minutes until hot and thickened. Set aside. Cook the pasta according to the package. Save 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Once cooked toss the pasta with prepared sauce until evenly coated. Add some pasta water if needed.
- Season to your taste and serve with fresh herbs or hemp seeds.