Chocolate + Peanut Butter = heaven combination! These super easy and healthy Vegan Peanut Butter Cups are the best treat ever. A thin layer of dark chocolate coating a thick peanut butter filling.
As you know I love everything with peanut butter and Resees is not an exception. However, when you look at Resees ingredients you will see a lot of sugar and fats. For that reason, I decided to create my own Vegan Peanut Butter Cups, how hard that can be?
To my surprise, it was one of the easiest desserts I have ever made. All you need to do is simply melt chocolate with coconut oil, spoon into muffin cases, add a spoonful of peanut butter, cover with more chocolate and let it chill until it’s done. Sounds easy, right?
Why you will love this recipe
- Super easy to make – just 4 ingredient and 10 minutes treat!
- Secretly healthy – as I said, Reese’s are not the healthiest snack out there. These PB cups not the other hand, are without any added sugar or fat!
- Vegan – As these peanut butter cups are made with wholesome ingredients they also happened to be vegan! WIN-WIN
- Free of refined sugar – in this recipe I used little bit of honey to add sweetness to the peanut butter, but you can totally leave it out. The Peanut Butter cups will be delicious even without it.
- Just 3 Ingredients – Creamy Peanut Butter, High Quality Chocolate and Coconut Oil!
- Perfect treat – who would say no to delicious home-made peanut butter cup.
- Chocolate, Chocolate & more Chocolate – do I need to say more?
What goes inside these Peanut Butter Cups?
So easy that you’ll need just 4 basic ingredients. You can also add chopped nuts, coconut flakes or chocolate chips on top if you like.
- Peanut Butter – in this recipe creamy peanut butter works the best. Try to find any peanut butter that is creamy and not too much runny, it should be thicker in texture than a runny.
- High Quality Dark Chocolate – I always use 70% Dark Chocolate in my recipes.
- Organic Coconut Oil – Cold Pressed Coconut Oil is my favourite, you’re an also use butter or any other vegetable oil if you are missing coconut oil. Or if you want to have your PB cups oil-free you can leave it totally out.
- Maple Syrup – to add little bit of sweetness to your cups you can use any liquid sweetener you like.
How to make this recipe
Follow these 3 easy steps to get the perfect mouth-watering peanut butter cups. Shall we?
- Firstly, melt the chocolate with coconut oil in a water bath. I do not recommend melt the chocolate in the microwave as you can burn the chocolate easily.
- After your chocolate is melted line a muffin thin with muffin paper cases and place 1 tablespoon of the chocolate to cover the bottom. Place into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix creamy peanut butter with 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (optional) until creamy and combined.
- After the chocolate is tick, place a thick layer of peanut butter filling on top of the chocolate base. After that cover the peanut butter with the remaining melted chocolate. Place to the freezer for another 30 minutes and serve!
- You can also use any type of nuts, dried fruit or chocolate as a topping. I love using coconut chips on top to add some extra texture.
I had like a million DM when I posted this recipe on my Instagram if you can substitute any ingredients. If you want to create authentic Reese’s peanut butter cups I would recommend stick to the recipe, but if you feel like you want to experiment with this recipe, you can totally customize them to your own taste. I tried this PB with Coconut peanut butter as well as Salted Almond Butter. Both of them were absolutely delicious. So don’t be afraid to mix things up!
How to store these Peanut Butter Cups?
These peanut butter cups are best stored in the freezer as they hold their shape, and they stay fresh for ages! Just leave them out for 10-15 minutes before eating and they will be perfect! But you can also store them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
MORE VEGAN DESSERTS FOR YOU TO TRY
Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- 8 oz / 1 1/4 cup / 200 grams dark chocolate vegan
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml coconut oil
- 3/4 cup / 150 grams peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml maple syrup
- Firstly melt the chocolate with coconut oil in water bath. I do not recommend melt the chocolate in microwave as you can burn the chocolate easily
- After your chocolate is melted line a muffin thin with muffin paper cases and place 1 tablespoon of the chocolate to cover the bottom. Place to the freezer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix creamy peanut butter with melted coconut oil and maple syrup (optional) until creamy and combined.
- After the chocolate is tick, place a thick layer of peanut butter filling on top of chocolate base. After that cover the peanut butter with remaining melted chocolate. Place to the freezer for another 30 minutes and serve!