The Best Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread! Moist, sweet and soft with rich banana flavor and a touch of cinnamon. This banana bread is easy to make in one bowl. You can add chocolate chips or nuts to this simple recipe. So delicious that you’d never guess it’s healthy!
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread is probably my favourite healthy snack/breakfast. I can’t even tell you how many times I made banana bread. It’s just a perfect snack or dessert option that is nourishing, healthy and soo delicious. A freshly made slice of banana bread with a spoonful of peanut butter… oh my, is there anything better?
This recipe is yet my favourite, which I still do over and over again. I like variation and experiment with my banana bread so don’t worry you’ll see more coming. But I can confidently tell you this is the basic and the best banana bread. It has the sweetness, moisture and flavour that you won’t recognise that is healthy.
WHY TO TRY OUT THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- Moist and soft – this banana bread is light and so soft inside that you’ll enjoy every bite!
- Healthier – this healthier alternative of banana bread is much more nourishing and without the added sugar!
- Easy and Quick – whether you are seeking a quick and easy breakfast snack this recipe is ONE BOWL RECIPE and takes ONLY 5 MINUTES!
- Perfect make-ahead – banana bread is perfect as a to-go snack or breakfast. It’s not dry, it’s moist and fluffy so you can enjoy it on its own.
- Staple Ingredients- You probably can find most of the ingredients at home, like flour, peanut butter/oil, bananas, maple syrup or honey.
This healthier banana bread is actually really easy to make. I honestly love this recipe just as much as classic banana bread and I love that it’s lower in sugar, calories and fat.
- Flax Eggs: Flax egg is my favourite egg substitute in sweet recipes, it gives a tender texture and to the banana bread.
- Vegetable oil: I used coconut oil, it is a great replacement for butter that you would typically find in banana bread. For oil-free banana bread, use more peanut butter, it works well too.
- Peanut Butter: I love using nut butter in my bakes, it adds moisture and a nutty taste to the banana bread. You can substitute Peanut butter with oil or the other way around.
- Bananas: The bananas also help to add moisture and doing a great job of replacing sugar in some baked goods. For best results, use extra ripe bananas that have some brown spots (they are the sweetest bananas out there).
- Oat flour/Spelt flour/ White whole wheat flour: I literally tried all of them and all of them works great in this recipe and is a healthier alternative to white flour. These 3 flour I used have more nutrition than regular all-purpose. It also adds a nutty delicious flavour to the bread.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup is an all-natural sweetener that’s actually sweeter than sugar.
- You’ll need only 4 tablespoons in this entire recipe.
- Cinnamon: This is the most essential ingredient in this recipe. I love the cinnamon flavour in this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips, Nuts or Coconut Chips: You can use literally any extra ingredient you like.
HOW TO MAKE THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
Start by preheating the oven to 350ºF (176ºC), and lightly grease a loaf pan.In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the flax eggs with maple syrup until combined. Whisk in the oil, mashed banana and mix until smooth.
Stir in the flour, baking powder & soda, and cinnamon. Fold in the chocolate and nuts and mix until just combined. Again, do not overmix the batter. Pour the prepared batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it out evenly. If you want add sliced banana, chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the loaf pan the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely. Serve with peanut butter, raspberry chia jam or maple syrup.
The key to making the best sweet banana bread with rich banana flavour is to use ripe bananas with brown spots.
To make oil-free banana bread, use just peanut butter instead of coconut oil in the recipe.
You may substitute the white whole wheat flour with regular whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour.
Mix chocolate chips into the batter to make chocolate chip banana bread.
If you want extra crunchiness and nutty flavour add a chopped nuts in your batter.
Do not overview the banana bread batter. This is really important, mix all ingredients just until combined. Otherwise your bread won’t be moist but it will have more soggy and hard texture.
HOW TO STORE THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
You can store this Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread in airtight container up to 3 days at room temperature or up to 7 days in refrigerator.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BANANAS AND PEANUT BUTTER
Bananas are naturally the best source of vitamin B6 which helps your body to produce red blood cells, maintain healthy nervous system and metabolise carbohydrates and fats (makes energy from them basically). What I found out recently bananas have positive effect on your skin as they contains quite a lot of manganese! Manganese helps your body make collagen and protects your skin and other cells against free radical damage. As every fruit bananas are rich in protein and can aid digestion and overall improve your digestion. Also they are perfect source of energy in the morning or after a workout. And they are delicious!
Peanut Butter is obviously the best food in the world (don’t judge me please, I just love it so much..) and I will tell you why!
Peanut butter is one of the magic foods that are supply fairly every micronutrient, it’s rich in protein, obviously rich in healthy fats and a fair amount of carbs (in form of fibre). Almost every Peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats (be careful what PB are you buying, some of them has oil and sugar added). Also, Peanut butter is high in many healthy vitamins, antioxidants and minerals like Vitamin E, B3, B6, Magnesium. Even though Peanut butter is relatively high in calories (around 588cal per 100g) you will feel full for longer, which can help you with weight/fat loss. However, we need to enjoy peanut butter in moderation which is quite difficult
sometimes (always)! So the scale will be your good friend when it comes to peanut butter.
MORE VEGAN RECIPES FOR YOU TO TRY
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
- Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes (Vegan)
- Peanut Butter and Strawberry Chia Pudding
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookeis
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml vegetable oil
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup / 70 grams peanut butter
- 1/3 cup / 60 ml maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup / 200 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup / 50 grams chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC), and lightly grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the flax eggs with maple syrup until combined.
- Whisk in the oil, mashed banana, and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder & soda, and cinnamon. Fold in the chocolate and nuts, mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it out evenly.
- If you want add sliced banana, chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve with peanut butter, raspberry chia jam, or maple syrup.