This fluffy, rich chocolate waffle recipe topped with a generous amount of peanut butter makes the perfect breakfast. They are easy to make, not overly sweet and can be made as vegan chocolate waffles!
Waffles are one of my favourite breakfasts. They are so easy to make and it’s like eating dessert for breakfast. Plus they can be customised to your own taste (but who can resist peanut butter and chocolate?).
- Spelt Flour
- Dutch-Process Cocoa
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Eggs or flax eggs
- Vegetable Oil
- Plant-Based Milk
- Toppings: Peanut Butter, Maple Syrup and Icing Sugar
How to make the chocolate waffles
TIPS TO MAKE FLUFFY Waffles
Let the batter rest – I always rest my batter for at least 5 minutes before cooking. This allows the flour to absorb all the liquid and make them so fluffy.
Be patient while cooking – Cook the waffles on low/medium heat. This will ensure that the waffles will be fluffy and moist.
DO NOT overmix the batter – This is a really important step. Mix the batter just until everything is incorporated, even if you have some lumps left in the batter. If you overmix the batter the waffles will be dense and not so delicious.
Plant-Based Milk – In this recipe, I used oat milk but any type of milk will work. If you are not vegan you can use regular dairy milk
Eggs – For the vegan version use flax eggs. Flax egg can be created by mixing 1 tbsp of milled flaxseeds with 2 1/2 tbsp water.
Toppings – You can top these waffles with literally anything you like, from fresh fruit to Nutella.
IS THIS RECIPE HEALTHY?
Yes, this recipe is made from spelt flour, plant-based milk and fresh strawberries. If you want to cut out some calories, you can substitute the oil with apple sauce. You can also top the waffles just with strawberries and vegan yoghurt instead of almond butter and maple syrup.
MORE HEALTHY RECIPES FOR YOU TO TRY
Chocolate Waffles Recipes
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Balloon Whisk
- Waffle Maker
- 1 1/4 cup / 150 grams cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup / 45 grams dutch-process cocoa
- 1/4 cup / 50 grams granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 eggs or flax eggs
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup / 380 ml milk
- Peanut Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Icing Sugar
- Preheat your waffle iron as directed.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder. Use a whisk to combine. Make a small well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs, oil, and milk to the well, and use the whisk to slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into your waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions.
- When the waffle is done cooking, carefully place it on a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve waffles hot with peanut butter, maple syrup and icing sugar.