The best authentic homemade hummus! I’m sharing my favourite and easy hummus recipe and top tips for authentic, smooth and ultra cream hummus!
Okay, I am a big fan of this Authentic Hummus Recipe (Vegan). I could eat it literally with anything! Any salad is complete without hummus topping and some carbs! We also love to use hummus as a dip for Pita bread, Homemade Tortilla Chips or just our favourite vegetables.
What is hummus?
You may already see hummus many times in shops, but originally hummus is a Mediterranean vegan dip made with chickpeas, garlic, tahini, and salt!
Hummus is the best plant-based snack I have ever eaten. Ultra-creamy, satisfying, and packed with protein and healthy fats. However this time I tried to switch things up by adding sweet potatoes and I am super happy with the final results.
Why you will love this Authentic Hummus Recipe
Versatile – Hummus can be literally used in so many ways! For example, you can have it with fresh vegetables as a dip, make a pasta sauce from hummus or have a delicious vegan brunch ( Avocado Toast + Beetroot Hummus + Toasted Pistachios is the best)
Healthy – The biggest advantage of making hummus at home is that you know exactly what it’s made of. Most store-bought hummus has many unnecessary ingredients.
Easy to Make – Literally the easiest recipe you will find, all you need is 5 minutes. Place all ingredients into the food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Chickpeas -the main ingredient in hummus. You can use either canned or your own cooked chickpeas. I prefer to use cooked chickpeas which I leave soak overnight, they make the creamiest hummus ever.
- Garlic – add a delicious flavour, but you can completely leave it out.
- Tahini – Original Hummus is made with Tahini, however you can experiment with different nut butter (I tried Salted Peanut Butter and it worked nicely).
- Fresh Lemon Juice – For some extra freshness use Fresh lemon juice!
- Salt – pinch of Himalayan Salt!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – this recipe requires 2 tbsp of olive oil int he actually dip plus some more to drizzle on top!
- Garnish – I love to use fresh coriander, chickpeas and some olive oil.
How to make the hummus?
Add Add chickpeas and minced garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Puree until a smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add in tahini, salt, and lemon juice. Blend for about 4 minutes. Check, and if the consistency is too thick still, run processor and slowly add more olive oil or tahini. Blend until you reach desired consistency. Spread in a serving bowl and add a generous drizzle of olive oil and top with chickpeas and coriander, if you like.
To make the naan bread mix greek yogurt with flour and pinch of salt. Form a small 4 balls and roll into rectangle (naan bread) shape. Heat a non-stick pan and drizzle each naan with olive oil. Cook around 2 minutes from each side. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Enjoy with fresh hummus!
- If using dry chickpeas cook them well. After soaking them overnight, you will need to cook them for around 1 hour to have them well-cooked through and tender. Even if you overcooked the chickpeas it will give you ultra-creamy hummus.
- Try to peel the chickpeas, even though the skin is edible, the peeled chickpeas work the ebbs to create a creamy hummus. This is optional, sometimes I just don’t peel the chickpeas (laziness) and make it straight away and it make more rustic yet delicious hummus.
- Use high quality tahini and loads of it. Tahini is another key ingredient for hummus. The more you add, the more delicious hummus you will end up with. So don’t worry to add some extra!
- Let the food processor run for at least 4 to 5 minutes. To get the best results, you will have to be patient! Run the food processor for 4-5 minutes until it gets a smooth texture. If needed add more tahini/olive oil.
What is Authentic Hummus Recipe can be eaten with?
People of the Mediterranean, myself included, of course, eat hummus with pita bread or naan. But there are many ways to serve and enjoy this tasty dip: With absolutely everything! With tortilla chips, naan bread, or as a dip with roasted cauliflower and thai salad.For breakfast? Sure! Hummus makes the best savory Breakfast Toast with toasted chickpeas on top of avocado slices!
More Mediterranean healthy recipes to make:
Homemade Hummus Recipe
- 1 can / 400 grams chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml olive oil eextra virgin
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml tahini
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup / 80 grams greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups / 200 grams self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil for drizzle
- Add Add chickpeas and minced garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Puree until a smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in tahini, salt, and lemon juice and blend for about 4 minutes.
- Check, and if the consistency is too thick still, run the processor and slowly add more olive oil or tahini. Blend until you reach desired consistency.
- Spread in a serving bowl and add a generous drizzle of olive oil and top with chickpeas and fresh coriander.
- Mix greek yogurt with flour and a pinch of salt until smooth and dough consistency form.
- Form a small 4 balls and roll into rectangle (naan bread) shape.
- Heat a non-stick pan and drizzle each naan with olive oil. Cook around 2 minutes from each side. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Enjoy with fresh hummus!